Saturday, September 13, 2008

Not quite like Europe

"Syracuse is a charming city", as described by our friend, Chris. True enough, it's a melange of various western architecture and imposing buildings, which kinda gives the place a feel of Europe ... more half-baked Europe though. It's blessed with well-maintained plazas, monuments, and churches, which unfortunately are under utilized. I was actually a bit dispirited because the streets and avenues were empty. I am not sure why, but it could be because it's a Saturday afternoon and there's a big football match (SU vs PennState) going on at carrier dome. It's a Saturday afternoon! Where else people go? And even if it's the world cup finals, I don't think plazas get empty on a weekend in Europe. There will always be old folks not interested in football who will find it more worthwhile to hang-out in the plazas.


Anyway, I still find it very charming though. There are places that I would definitely go back to and explore -- like Armory square and Salina St. There's also little Italy and the museums that are definitely worth seeing. For friends and family planning to visit me here, don't worry, I'm already familiarizing myself with good places to see. For one, I would definitely bring Yas to a craft store in Armory Square where they showcase real works of artists. Kinda expensive yet very original. Anyway, if you want to see more photos, please feel free to visit my flickr account HERE.

I disagree with friends who say there's nothing to see in downtown Syracuse. I know they would rather go to Carousel, the mega shopping mall here. Perhaps that's the reason why the city is not bustling enough -- people would rather go to shopping malls and save up for a drive to the Big Apple. Indeed, shopping malls and sprawl developments are ingredients to making a struggling city. I just see so much potential in this city and it shouldn't just be regarded as "the place you go to because you have no other better choices in upstate NY". I hope downtown Syracuse will make a rebound in the future.

3 comments:

kasmirasimone said...

hi mahbah,
looking at your pics now and i agree with it being quite charming!
it makes a unique bunch of pictures

Atsi-Batsi said...

Funny huh? We see New York City as so full of culture and character and only 4 hours away, there's all this great architecture which very little people appreciate. I officially apologise for calling upstate new york a winter wasteland. It really is charming :)

Marvin.PhD said...

Maybe it does turn into a winter wasteland during winters. haha. It would be interesting to take photos again when snow starts to pile up.